Central Square Proposals
Improvements for cycling
- New segregated cycle lane on both sides of Wood Street.
- Cycle movements at Havelock Street and Westgate Street junctions will have a cycle-specific traffic phase.
- Lower Westgate Street will include a northbound cycle lane.
- Southbound cyclists from Westgate Street will be guided onto a corresponding stepped cycleway provided on Park Street and Havelock Street.
Improvements for walking
- Significant crossing improvements at the junction between Wood Street and Westgate Street.
- The pedestrian crossing directly to the east of Scott Road will be raised to footway height.
- Signalised pedestrian crossings will be provided over the access points on Saunders Road.
Changes to buses
- Bus stops JA to JD on Wood Street will be retained. These stops will be remodelled to incorporate a floating bus island.
- Bus stop JV will be removed to facilitate the cycle lane. Bus stop JU on Havelock Street will also be removed.
Road design and layout
- Wood Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction.
- The new bus interchange will provide both northern access onto Wood Street and southern access onto Saunders Road.
- Access onto Wood Street will be via a new southern arm at the junction with Westgate Street.
- Saunders Road will be reconfigured to provide access to the interchange.
- The one-way restriction on Havelock Street will be reversed to become southbound only and at the Wood Street junction, all vehicles will be required to turn right.
- Park Street (between Scott Road and Havelock Street) will become one way in the eastbound direction.
Parking and Loading
- There will be no changes to access to the Central Square development.
- Access to the north of Wood Street will be retained through the creation of a one-way loop using Scott Road, Park Street and Havelock Street.