Westgate Street Proposals
Improvements for cycling
- Continuous segregated cycle lane on both sides of Westgate Street along its full extent.
- The junction between Westgate Street and Park Street will be signalised, with provision for cyclists.
- The junction with Westgate Street will connect cycling provision on Castle Street and Westgate Street
Improvements for walking
- More public realm space gained through the reconfiguration of the carriageway.
- High quality landscaping and improved street furniture.
- Two new signalised pedestrian crossings incorporated into the new junction layout at Park Street.
Improvements for buses
- Two-way split bus gate that will control traffic movements along Westgate Street and give priority to buses. A bus gate is a short section of road blocked off to all traffic except buses, cycles and taxis.
- Northbound bus stops KL, KM, KN, and KP will be consolidated into a single bus lay-by.
- Southbound bus stops KD, KE, and KF will be consolidated into a single bus lay-by. Bus stops KF, KG, GP and KJ will be removed. Bus stops KK and KH will be retained.
Road design and layout
- Westgate Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction along much of its length.
- The bus gate will restrict through movements on Westgate Street.
- General traffic will be given the opportunity to turn around prior to the bus gate by using the Guildhall Place and Golate y Gwter one-way loop.
- The two raised table sections on Castle Street will be merged to create an extended section of raised table.
Parking and Loading
- All existing points of access will be retained.
- Some changes to existing loading bays on Westgate Street can be viewed in our parking and loading guide.
- Westgate Street will only be accessible to general traffic from the north.