Castle Street Proposals
Improvements for cycling
- New bi-directional segregated cycle lane from Cardiff Bridge to Boulevard de Nantes.
- At Boulevard de Nantes, cyclists will continue onto another bi-directional segregated cycle lane via a cycling-specific traffic light phase.
- The junction with Westgate Street will connect cycling provision on Castle Street and Westgate Street
Improvements for walking
- New signalised pedestrian crossings on all arms of the Boulevard de Nantes junction. The existing underpass to be replaced with an at-grade crossing point.
- New footway surfacing and public realm improvements.
Changes to buses
- Increased capacity for northbound bus stops opposite Kingsway.
- Bus stop KA removed outside Cardiff Castle.
- Bus stop layouts modified to include bypasses for cyclists.
- The westbound bus lane will be extended to the west of the junction with Westgate Street towards Cardiff Bridge, taking one traffic lane.
Road design and layout
- One eastbound traffic lane, on Castle Street, will be removed to facilitate the new cycle lane.
- At the Boulevard de Nantes junction, one straight ahead lane in the northbound direction will be removed. Two right turn lanes will be retained.
- Southbound access to Greyfriars Road will be opened up to general traffic.
- The two raised table sections on Castle Street will be merged to create an extended section of raised table.
Parking and Loading
- All existing parking/ loading arrangements on the south side of Castle Street will be retained