Cardiff Council is always working on projects to improve travel for all modes, and is keen to make sure that everyone has the right opportunity to feedback their thoughts and ideas. This page brings you an opportunity to find out more about work in progress. Click on the links below to take a closer look.
City Centre East
Following a public engagement exercise in May last year, the City Centre East Transport Scheme has now been developed to a detailed stage and an 8 week public engagement exercise will begin this month.
To assist businesses, residents and members of the public that are living within the re-development area, an information pack has been produced, along with a dedicated website.
In May 2019, a number of events were set up to give information to the public on a variety of measures that are designed to reduce air pollution in the city centre, specifically Nitrogen Dioxide. The re-designing of roads, to improve public transport and active travel is one of these measures.
The Council is now engaging on the final scheme which includes:
Revised City Centre East Road Layout
- New bus priority routes and improved public transport links → Go to page
- Segregated cycleway connections → Go to page
- Improved pedestrian safety → Go to page
- Improved car park routing → Go to page
- Improved sustainable drainage → Go to page
We have also developed an Operational pack to assist in navigating the new road layout. This includes maps and graphics on the following areas:
- Changes to general access, residents parking and non-pedestrianised deliveries map → Go to page
- Changes to delivery routes for Queen St pedestrianised area → Go to page
- Car Park access map → Go to page
The scheme also includes two new event spaces.
Phase 1 of the Canal Quarter
- Restoration of a section of the Dock feeder canal into a welcoming and green public realm.
- Vibrant planting including a range of all year flora, trees and rain gardens to support the SuDS infrastructure.
- Amphitheatre style seating arrangements.
- Al fresco dining and socialising areas.
- Outdoor seating amongst the planting and with waterway views and sounds.
- Taxi rank facility located at the junction with North Edward Street.
- Bridges and Cantilever platforms over the canal.
- Waterfall feature.
- Cycle parking at southern end.
Kingsway Public Square
- Segregated two directional cycle lane
- Improved public space and event square
- Underpass to be filled in and at-grade crossing built
- Vibrant all year round planting schemes & SUDS
How to Reply
A feedback survey has been prepared and is available at https://tinyurl.com/engcc