Castle Street Proposals
Improvements for cycling
- New bi-directional segregated cycle lane from Cardiff Bridge to Boulevard de Nantes.
- At Boulevard de Nantes, cyclists will continue onto another bi-directional segregated cycle lane (to be delivered as part of another phase of works) via a cycling-specific traffic light phase
- At Cardiff Bridge, cyclists will continue on to the Taff Trail or Cycleway 4 to be delivered as part of another phase
Improvements for walking
- New signalised pedestrian crossings on all arms of the Boulevard de Nantes junction. The existing underpass to be replaced with an at-grade crossing point.
- New footway surfacing and public realm improvements.
- New tabled area in front of Cardiff Castle.
Improvements for buses
- Bus stop layouts modified to include bypasses for cyclists.
- The westbound bus lane will be extended to the west of the junction with Westgate Street towards Cardiff Bridge.
- Reduction in general traffic using the area.
Road design and layout
- One eastbound traffic lane, on Castle Street, will be removed to facilitate the new cycle lane.
- The two raised table sections on Castle Street will be merged to create an extended section of raised table.